Friday, July 12, 2013

First Days Activities- Pete the Cat and a FREEBIE on Facebook!

Hey there, everyone!  I have a confession.  I have been doing the same first day of school activities for the past ten years... I know... with all of the great ideas out there, it's time to switch it up a bit!  I've done The Kissing Hand read aloud and themed activites for years.  I know it's more of a kindergarten thing... but I LOVE the story and when I started teaching first grade in my school, no one else in the school used it.  Then new kindergarten teachers joined the staff and suddenly my materials and ideas were not so original.  Since only one of my K colleagues used The Kissing Hand, I continued to use my stuff and tried to add some different things to make it different from what they may have done in K.  In reality, it's scary for me to try something new on the first day.  I had my Kissing Hand stuff down to a science.  I knew how long each activity would take and that the kids would have a great first day.  It was one less thing to worry about on a stress-filled day anyway.

But that all changes this year!!  Am I gonna worry?  Goodness, no.  Because the main character of our first day book and activities would just keep reading and working and singing a song.  Do you know what we'll be reading yet?

You guessed it... Pete the Cat.

Here are the purchases I made today to get the year off to a great start.


Don't you love the stuffed Pete- adorable!  I had to splurge and get him!

(Click on any of the pictures about to link to Amazon to order them.)


I've found so many great FREE activities to go along with the Pete books.  Please check out my Pinterest board for tons of great ideas.

Here is just one of the ideas I'm definitely going to be using compliments of Heather's Heart.  Click on the image to visit her blog and download this fantastic freebie.


And I can't wait to use this little treasure!  Hop on by Inspired By Kindergarten to download school tour cards.  I love using a character hunt to give the students a tour of the school... makes it so much more fun!  Click the cat to get your copy!



Here's another great freebie for I Love My White Shoes compliments of The Groovy Teacher.  Click the image below to visit Leslie's page to pick up this sequencing activity.  



I just know my new firsties are going to love starting the year with such a cool cat!  

And now for a FREEBIE from me!  I recently started up my facebook page and would love it if you would swing by.  You can also pick up an awesome soccer themed freebie perfect for the beginning of the year.  Just click on the Fans Only tab to get your freebie!  I will also throw in a copy of my Superhero Pal Math Centers for my first three new facebook fans.  Just like the FB page and come back here and leave your email address in the comments.



Thanks for stopping by!





1 comment: