Saturday, June 22, 2013

"Aloha" and Five For Friday!

Yay!  I can finally say Summer is here!  Yesterday was my last school day.  It was probably one of the most bittersweet end of the years days I've ever experienced.  I've mentioned before that my firsties this year were one in a million.  I'm gonna miss them, but who doesn't love summer... so of course I'm delighted.  But it was also the last day for a couple of my colleagues that I've become very close to.  If any of you are reading this, lunch will not be as much fun without you!  

I've mentioned before that I am moving classrooms this year.  So, I spent yesterday afternoon, after the kids left, and today moving my personal stuff.  I thought "Aloha" was the perfect way to describe the situation... "Goodbye" to my home for the last ten years... I admit I teared up as I looked around one last time.  I told myself "I can always visit... I'm just moving down the hall 2 doors."

I'm gonna miss my lockers... they hide the kids' messes.


And "hello" to my new digs.





The classroom that I've moved to is in an older part of the school.  It has a huge ancient chalk board at the back of the room.  It was looking pretty beat.  I plan on using it for my word wall.  So I covered it with black fabric.  Since it's a chalk board, I couldn't staple it.  So I researched how to cover walls with fabric using starch.  It was actually pretty simple and I think it looks great. It's tough to see the transformation because it was a black chalk board and now it's black fabric... but trust me it gave it new life.  If you want to try hanging fabric on your walls, all you need is the fabric (I used a light weight, inexpensive cotton), liquid starch (in the laundry aisle of the grocery store), and a paint roller and pan.  First, roll the starch onto the wall.  Then, hand the fabric as you would wall paper.  (I thought it would be easier to cut the fabric into 1 yard width pieces to make it more manageable).  Get the fabric into place with minimal wrinkles and air bubbles.  Then, roll more starch onto the top of the fabric and continue to smooth it.  That's it!  I'm so proud that I was able to do it.  I don't have a crafty bone in my body!  



I have to thank my work crew.  My mom (a retired teacher and avid quilter) was the brains behind the operation.  Thank goodness she thought to bring her cutting mat and rotary cutter.  We learned the hard way that my scissors were pretty dull.  And my big guy (and almost first grader) helped me roll and smooth out bubbles. 

I'm looking forward to the new adventure and new memories in a new room.... Change can be good, right?


Now onto my Five For Friday.  I'm linking up with Kacie from Doodlebugs teaching for her infamous Five For Friday linky party.  It's a great way to check out other teaching blogs and find a few new ones to follow. Click on the link above to check out the linky party.  


1. You gotta love 1st graders love notes!  Definitely one I'll save... It says "The smallest things can take up the most things in your heart."  Very philosophical... not sure about what it means, but it sure is sweet!



2. I think this is my favorite e card!  


3.  I got my chromebook to practice with this summer.  If you have no idea what a chromebook is, read my original post here.  

4. Now, that we're all done school... I'm planning lots of days trips to keep the kids preoccupied.  Here are just some of the places within about an hour.  Where do you think we should go first?

The Jersey Shore

The Crayola Factory in Easton, Pa

Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ

The Philadelphia Zoo

Sesame Place in Langhorne, Pa

5. I'm doing a class makeover in my new classroom- a jungle theme.  I made a couple of products and have them in my TPT store.  If you are thinking of having a jungle or safari theme, please check out my calendar headers by clicking on the image below.  


I'm hoping for some rest and relaxation in the coming weeks, but as anyone with small kids knows, that's probably wishful thinking.  I will probably spend more time playing referee than anything else.  But... here's to a great summer.  If you are STILL in school, that stinks... the end is near!  If you've been on break for a while... save me a drink, the party is here, LOL!

Thanks for stopping by!





No comments:

Post a Comment