Monday, May 20, 2013

Budding Blog!

Well, another Monday is in the books.  I'm jealous of all of you in bloggyland who have started Summer Break... then again... I'm reminding myself that I will still be on the beach in August!  21 More days... not that any of us are counting!  
I am seriously going to miss this bunch of kiddies.  I think it's rare to find a great mix of kids who are kind, smart, independent, and funny.  I will probably never get another bunch like them so as much as I am looking forward to summer with my kids, I will probably shed a few tears on this last day.  

So, with my whopping 32 (awesome) followers, I'm pretty sure I fall into the category of "budding blogger."  So I'm linking up with I {heart} recess for her Budding Blog linky.


1. Why did you start blogging?
I've been stalking checking out many blogs for a few years and started to admire (and borrow) the great ideas I found.  Then I discovered Teachers Pay Teachers and started dumping tons of money on adorable products.  Finally, I decided to try my hand at making my own products.  Starting a blog seemed like the next step.  It really started out as an experiment in teaching myself something new.  But I discovered an awesome community of supportive and like-minded teachers and I got hooked.  

2. What is your favorite subject to teach and why?  
Definitely reading and language arts.  There is NOTHING like the rewarding feeling you get from teaching a little one to read.  I went back to get my Masters in Reading because I love it so much.  (Now if I can only get my own child to love reading... a little piece of my heart dies every time he says, "I hate to read."  Tell me it'll pass.. please!)

3. Describe your teaching style.
Gosh, I am such a mix of different styles.  My first year teaching (3rd grade) I had the privilege of working with an outstanding trio of women who all became my mentors.  They are all diversely different in their styles and I think I took a little bit from each of them and added myself to them.  I believe in hands-on, discovery-based lessons, lots of teamwork, and differentiation.  I'm also sarcastic and silly.  My goal is to make school so fun that kids don't realize I'm pushing them harder than they think they can handle.  

4. Give three interesting facts about you.
I'm a mom to two crazy boys (6 & 3) and my fur baby, a 9 year old bulldog.  
I have a mild addiction to Diet Pepsi and Crystal Light. 
I am a beginning slogger (slow jogger).  I've competed in a few 5Ks and a 10K.  I'm debating signing up for my first half marathon but...   I haven't taken the plunge yet!

5. Do you have a TpT store? If yes, post the link :)
Yes, but it's only in the beginning phases.  Please check it out.  I'm looking forward to making more items this summer. 
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/First-Grade-Hugs-And-High-Fives

Thanks for stopping by!



8 comments:

  1. Hey Meg! I didn't realize you had taught third grade to!! I taught for 5 years and loved it but hated that there was so much testing. Whoo hoo! I think it's awesome that you've become a slogger. (lol I love that name) I need to join the club! Thanks for sharing. Yes, the near is almost here.

    (( HUGS ))
    Tiffany

    One Fab Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you at the linky! If it makes you feel any better, my year has only just started! So no summer holidays in the near future for me haha :)

    I'm following - looking forward to reading all your posts!

    Danielle
    Apples, Ink and Mischief

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up and sharing. I'd say go and sign up for that half marathon. The work is hard, but the results (and the medal) make it totally worth it!

    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 21 days of school left too...I thought I was the only one!! :) I just ran my first 5K this morning...You should go for the half marathon! It'll feel good when you complete it! :)

    Enjoy the long weekend!
    Sarah
    A Sunny Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Meghan, I just found your blog through Blogs by State , I'm from NJ too :) I'm your newest follower!

    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the name Budding Blogger! You have more followers than me! Stop by my blog and I will send you a free summer packet! Laura

    Read-Write-Create

    ReplyDelete