Monday, September 16, 2013

My New Adventures in Clip Charts

Hey everyone!  I know it's been a while... Back to school has been kicking my butt!  I'm sitting here half watching Dancing with the Stars and thinking about what to blog about.  

I have 19 cuties this year and they are really coming along.  My class is an inclusion class where two of my students leave to go to resource room for a large chunk of the day.  Because of this, I wanted to start the year in a very consistent way in regards to behavior management.  (I'll admit consistency in this area has always been a weakness of mine.  For the most part, it's never been a huge problem, though.)  But since students were coming and going frequently, I wanted to use a clip chart to stay consistent with my co-teacher.  

So far it's going well!  I love that there are opportunities to move up the clip chart and that it is not just negative reinforcement.  

This is the clip chart I purchased to complement my jungle theme.  You can find it here:

I wanted to create a simple reward for students who make it to the top of the chart.  I'm not sure whos blog I read but they were saying that they would glue a jewel to the clip.  I ran out to the Dollar Tree to see if I could find little rhinestones.  I didn't find them but I found a "decorate a slap bracelet kit" full of sequins.  I ditched the bracelet but kept the two packs of sequins.  When students reach the top (and stay there) till the end of the day, I glue a sequin on their clip.  When they get 5 sequins we will retire their clip to the Clip Chart Hall of Fame.  Here's a picture of a few outstanding clips.  They are so motivated and it's been going so well.  No one has ended the day lower than yellow.  


In order to better communicate behavior to parents, I am using these behavior calendars from Lori at Teaching with Love and Laughter
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Clip-Chart-Take-Home-Calendars-for-2013-2014-643962  Students color in the calendar with the color where their clip ended.  Parents initial the chart daily.  So far it's going very well!  

Tomorrow night is Back to School Night and I'm looking forward to meeting my kiddos' parents and hope all goes well!  

Thanks for stopping by!




No comments:

Post a Comment