Saturday, November 2, 2013

Teacher Friendly Supplies Pencil Sharpener- REVIEW

Hey there!  I know I've been a very bad blogger, but I wanted to take the time to tell you all about my new pencil sharpener from Classroom Friendly Supplies.  First off, Troy the owner of Classroom Friendly supplies is super nice.  My sharpener was delivered while I was on vacation and despite my neighbors checking the porch for delivery daily, it "walked" away.  (I hope whoever stole it off my porch has very sharp pencils... bet they were hoping for an iPhone or something, haha gotcha!)  Without hesitation, Troy sent out another, this time to my school.  When it was delivered, I opened the packaging to find my classic black sharpener, but no directions.  "That shouldn't be a problem," I thought, "I am an educated person.  I can figure this out."  The sharpener itself was easy enough to figure out, but the clamp that attaches it to the table was a bit more of a challenge.  After trying several different ways, I finally figured out how to get it to clamp onto the table.  



Now I was set... time to sharpen some pencils!  In order to put your pencil in, you have to squeeze and pull out the piece that holds the pencil in place.  Then you insert the pencil into the holder and the hole to the sharpener.  It's time to crank it.  At first it's a bit tough, but as the pencil gets sharper, it's easier to crank.  You know your pencil is sharp when the crank is very easy.  (Instead of the old fashioned crank sharpeners I remember from my schooling, this nifty sharpener doesn't continue to chew up your pencil if you leave it in longer.  It's also significantly quieter than other crank or electric pencil sharpeners that I've used.)  Then, you squeeze the holder again to pull the pencil out.  And voila... you have a SUPER sharp pencil.  When I say sharp... I mean sharp!  The pencils are borderline daggers. 


I'm going to be honest... one of the reasons I wanted to try this pencil sharpener out was because I've begun not allowing my firsties to use my precious electric pencil sharpener since some have abused the privilege and I'm trying to extend the life of it.  I wanted to find a sharpener that was durable and easy for first graders to operate.  The Classroom Friendly Supplies pencil sharpener appears to be very durably made, but it has taken quite a bit of modeling and practice for first graders to be able to operate independently.  They are getting there though.  I was also not exaggerating on the sharpness of the point.  Despite my warning not to, one angel couldn't resist trying out the sharpness on his neighbor's arm.  But since that incident, we are doing much better.  We also abandoned the use of the clamp.  Neither the kids or I could figure out how to keep it from not coming loose after a few uses.  It's fine though because without the clamp it can be moved for righty or lefty usage.  Overall, I've been satisfied with my pencil sharpener from Classroom Friendly Supplies.  Visit Troy to see the selection of colors that you can pick up for your classroom.  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment